The Mission and Outreach ministry at St. Peter’s in the Woods is a vibrant group that supports issues and causes on a local, regional, national and international basis. Whether it’s gathering food to support local school children who risk hunger on the weekend, providing shelter for our homeless brothers and sisters during the coldest months of the year, going on mission to Appalachia, our Mission & Outreach ministry is committed to living out Jesus’ command to serve others.
Working with Facets, our Hypothermia Prevention Shelter week offers hospitality, warm meals, transportation and shelter for our homeless neighbors.
Our Creation Care Ministry honors the sacredness of God’s creation, acknowledges the interdependence of all life on earth, and encourages environmental sustainability through education, advocacy and action. Whether it’s supporting our Virginia Natives Plant and Pollinator Garden, conducting an energy audit of our facility, or working to educate and reduce single-use plastics, Creation Care is committed to enhancing our stewardship of the Earth’s resources and living more justly and sustainably.
Our annual mission trip to Grace House on the Mountain offers youth and families a hands-on opportunity to provide safe, warm and dry homes for families in Southwest VA.
Our monthly Laundry Love ministry offers quarters, detergent and friendship to help offset the cost of clean clothes for our neighbors at the local laundromat.
Our Military Ministry group partners with local agencies to provide Christmas presents to nearby servicemembers who need financial support around the holidays.
At Serving with the Saints, the community gathers for a potluck dinner and the chance to serve others with hands-on projects, such as making blankets for the elderly, sending bandanas and greeting cards to deployed service members, or stuffing trail mix snack bags for homeless guests at the Lamb Center.
We also support:
- FISH (For Immediate Sympathetic Help) – works in conjunction with the Fairfax County Department of Human Services and responds to request from the poor and the elderly in the greater Fairfax City area.
- The Lamb Center – Founded in 1992, the Lamb Center’s mission is to serve the poor and homeless, transform lives, and share God’s love. TLC typically service 40-50 people a day, six days a week, providing hospitality, referrals and assistance, prayer, meals, clothing, financial assistance, showers, laundry and more.
- LCAC – The Lorton Community Action Center is dedicated to improving the quality of life for under-privileged individuals, families and children in the Lorton and southern Fairfax County area.
- FACETS – FACETS provides comprehensive programs and services to men, women, and children who are homeless or are otherwise precariously housed in Fairfax County.
- Guatemala Youth Iniative – GYI works with at risk youth around sex education and reproductive health in some of the most marginalized communities in Guatemala City.