The Director of Family Ministries at St. Peter’s in the Woods is a new position, envisioned to develop and nurture ministries that serve our young families and children, ages Pre-K through 6th grade. The Director of Family Ministries will work with this vital segment of our parish, strengthening them in the knowledge and love of Jesus Christ, building relationships, engaging them in the life of the church, and equipping them to serve the world in God’s name. We seek a collaborative team member, enthusiastic to share the love of Christ in this ministry. This is a part-time position, 10-15 hours/week (including Sunday mornings).
Christian Formation Development
- Support Sunday School programs for pre-K through high school, provide ongoing communication and administrative help to ensure that Sunday mornings are organized and run smoothly
- Recruit and mentor volunteer Sunday School teacher teams
- Identify and share creative programs and practices that nurture faith development for families at home
- Oversee annual VBS program
- Create and develop relationships with families and children through program opportunities and seasonal activities
- Nurture and expand existing ministry with Parents of Young Children
- Plan, recruit and implement children’s programming for annual Parish Retreat
- Communicate effectively across a variety of platforms, including social media, website, weekly Enews, in-person, and printed materials
Engaging in Life of the Church/Service
- With clergy, create worship opportunities that meet the realities of 21st century family life. In particular, help develop a “Messy Church” or similar alternative monthly Sunday evening worship offering
- Ensure that first time families receive warm and timely welcome and follow up
- Serve as a facilitator to integrate children into acolyte, cherub/youth choir programs
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work Sunday mornings (8:45 – 10 am)
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Promote timely children/family ministry activities through calls and emails, bulletin and Enews announcements
- Assist with annual budget process and monitor budget throughout the year
Qualifications/Skills Bachelor’s degree and some professional experience in Christian formation; a passion and proven ability in working with youth/families; a generous and flexible spirit, good sense of humor; energetic and self-motivated, extreme attention to details and follow through; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; proven ability to mobilize volunteers and build community.
Please forward your resume to the Rev. Susan Hartzell, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Director of Family Ministries must pass a background check and complete Safeguarding God’s Children training in compliance with the policies of the Episcopal Diocese of VA.